Arthritis Pain Treatment by Experts in Pune
Physiotherapy services for Arthritis Treatment in Pune and underlying cause can be availed in the comfort of your home, by our expert physiotherapists.
Arthritis is used synonymously with joint pain or inflammation. There are different types of arthritis depending on the underlying cause of joint inflammation. The two main types seen are:
1. Osteoarthritis: it is characterized by the degeneration of the cartilage within the joint, thereby causing pain, joint swelling and restricted movement. The weight-bearing
joints i.e, hip and knee are most commonly affected.
2. Rheumatoid arthritis: it is an autoimmune condition where the body’s immune system attacks its own cells, in this case the joints leading to swelling, redness and pain.
Usually, the disease begins in the small joints of the hands and feet and progresses
to the knees or hips.
General Queries regarding Arthritis Treatment in Pune
While rheumatoid arthritis has no known causative factors besides a possible genetic predisposition, osteoarthritis has a range of risk factors. These include:
- lack of physical activity
- Loss of muscle strength
- High BMI
- Increasing age
- Previous injury to the joint
The symptoms include varying degrees of joint pain and joint movement restriction, one may be more severe than the other. Other symptoms may include swelling in the joint, pain in areas surrounding the joint, muscle weakness, disturbed sleep due to pain, and balance issues. Individuals may also experience difficulty performing daily activities like walking, stair climbing, using the toilet, etc.
Clinical signs and symptoms are usually diagnostic in the case of osteoarthritis. The doctor may recommend an X-ray to confirm the diagnosis.
Rheumatoid arthritis requires certain tests like C-reactive protein, rheumatoid factor, and blood count to diagnose it accurately.
Physiotherapy is prescribed alongside medical treatment for individuals with arthritis to control symptoms and prevent the worsening of the condition. It helps in the following ways:
- Therapeutic modalities like IFT, and TENS help reduce pain and swelling
- Exercises improve range of motion
- Muscle strengthening exercises enhance support to the joint
- Mobilization techniques reduce pain and improve joint function
- Taping and bracing provide additional support to the joint